Monday, February 22, 2010

Shutter Island and this weekends Top Movies

Being a five dollar contributor to the $40.2 million in tickets that "Shutter Island" brought in this weekend, I feel the need to comment on the flick and this article. I did enjoy the movie. Granted it was a little hokey at times and predictable, DiCaprio did not disappoint. The film had a lovely, although at times somewhat frightening setting.

I did not know that this movie was originally supposed to come out in the fall. I agree with this article that it was probably in the best interest of the film to postpone the premier until now. Not only was it more appropriate financially, but I believe the films success is probably due partially to the timing. The other part of its success is because it is a Martin Scorsese film starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

I was shocked in this article to find that "Valentine's Day" made the second most money in the box office. I think the ONLY reason this film made such high marks is because of its star studded cast, however, that is the main reason that a lot of films are presently making copious amounts of money. I am also surprised that "Avatar" is still so high at the box office. And who would have thought that "Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightening Thief" would come in fourth? The top four films in the theaters this weekend are of various genres and financial statuses. I suppose that is to be expected, however, considering the different types of films that different types of people enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I've been hearing a lot about Shutter Island-- thanks for sharing that article and your take!

    ReplyDelete