Thursday, February 18, 2010

Olympic Language...

I found this article about Shaun White at the Olympics very interesting. Not because the coach used obscenities on live television, but because the network didn't catch it before airing it. I was under the impression that there is some kind of delay with television programs that allows room for errors such as inappropriate behavior. Either the network missed their window of opportunity...or I am mistaken. Either way, on world-wide television an American Olympian's coach was showed using inappropriate language.

I agree with the article that the network shouldn't have apologized for Bud Keene, but he should still have to apologize. Even if he is a grown man who can use whatever language he wants, it is painting Americans in a bad light. At the same time I can understand the excitement that a coach and athlete would feel after being successful in their arena. I think it is a complicated issue, but both the network and Keene himself should apologize for the inappropriate language.

No comments:

Post a Comment