Friday, February 12, 2010

"The Dream, WIthout the Drive"

On the front page of the Weekend Arts (Movie Performances) section, I was instantly drawn to the photo of four friends at a bar in New York City and the large caption below that says "The Dream, Without The Drive". As I read the review I found myself really wanting to watch this show. Granted I've never seen Entourage so I did not understand a lot of the allusions, but I was still intrigued by the idea that this television show seems to be portraying.

I really enjoyed the way this review is written. Although the critic did not rave about the show, she touches on important aspects of the show that made it seem very appealing to me. For example her statement "The series has great music (the theme song is Aloe Blacc's "I Need a Dollar") and there are some snarky asides about hipster New York" makes the show sound like a witty and stimulating show.

I also found it interesting that Kid Cudi has a role in the show. Usually musical artists in television shows annoy me because their acting skills are so lacking, and I'm not going to go out on a limb and say that Kid Cudi is going to be an exception, but that strangely draws me more to the show to see if he is an exception or if he is just another big musical artist trying to make it in another medium.

Also having seen Bryan Greenberg in multiple other shows (One Tree Hill, October Road, and various movies) attracts me to the show. I find his acting to be charming and understated which is always a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately this show plays on HBO so any hope I have of watching it will either have to be fulfilled online or when the season comes out on DVD and I have the opportunity to rent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment