Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Arts/Media/Culture Piece

As I was stumbling around on the Yahoo! website in the music section, I came across this video of Justin Bieber. Bieber is a 15 year old new pop artist who was "discovered" on Youtube. I'm not going to lie and say that I don't find his songs catchy and fun to dance around to, but I am appalled by the message that he conveys about the youth of the U.S.

My little brother recently turned 14. He is a normal 14 year old boy; he likes to play video games and hang out with his friends. However, he does not have an iPhone (as a matter of fact he doesn't have any type of cell phone), and is not hanging out in a lavish "crib". Two things that Bieber has in this video. It is so ridiculous to see a boy who can't even drive yet holding an iPhone inviting all of his little buddies over to Usher's pad and talking about how much he loves someone. I think by creating this image of what the life of a 15 year old should look like, our society is limiting the possibilities of its' youth.

When I was 15 I was still walking over to my girl friends houses to sit around and talk about school and our friends. (Keep in mind that these plans had to be made on a home phone, not one of the nicest most expensive cell phones available). I find it deplorable how early children are growing up now. There is nothing wrong with still playing outside or playing house at 14 or 15. The constant interaction that society has obtained with technology is detrimental to our progress as people. I babysit two little boys that have trouble carrying on a conversation because a person responds and asks questions. Our society would benefit hugely from less importance placed on technology and more on personal interaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment