Monday, February 22, 2010

Final Pitch

I would like to write my social/cultural critical essay about the growing rate of teen pregnancy in America and how it is tied to pop culture and media. This subject is relevant now because for the first time in over a decade the teen pregnancy rate is on the rise. The argument I will make is due to the glorification of teen pregnancy and the fact that it is no longer incredibly uncommon or particularly shameful, as shown in pop culture and media, teen pregnancy rates are rising.

I plan on using multiple newspaper articles to provide context for my thesis. To support my argument, I will use popular movies and television shows that contain teen pregnancy including “Juno” (2007), “The Pregnancy Pact” (2010 a made for television movie), “The Secret Life of an American Teenager” (ABC Family), “Glee” (Fox), “Teen Mom” (MTV) and possibly an ABC Primetime Special that featured a girl from my high school. I will be using “Juno,” “The Secret Life,” and “Glee” to show the unrealistic way that television and movies illustrate teen pregnancies. My plan for “The Pregnancy Pact” is to use it as an example of the types of repercussions that the glorification of pregnancy can have. I will use “Teen Mom” and the ABC Special as examples of real life teen pregnancies.

I am a prime person to write an essay about the growing rate of teen pregnancy in America because of the huge percentage of teen pregnancies in my hometown, including multiple friends.

1 comment:

  1. This is fascinating, Kami. I find that young folks are increasingly blase about things that my generation found positively terrifying, namely pregnancy and AIDS. Linking it to tv and movies is a great idea. Is it a good or a bad thing, do you think, that pregnancy isn't as shameful as it once was? What will you say about it in this piece?

    ReplyDelete