Monday, January 11, 2010

Avatar Review

While watching television one evening, I saw an extended trailer for Avatar. As I watched I was thoroughly confused. In fact, when it was over, I laughed and scoffed. I had heard about the movie coming out with amazing computer generated imagery that cost around $300 million and had initially been excited. But once I saw the trailer, I was immediately turned off. I had absolutely no interest in seeing a film about partially naked blue aliens. I knew little about the plot, other than that it was a sort of Dances With Wolves meets Fern Gully, but was pleasantly surprised by the film I originally mocked. Avatar evinced many intense emotions and provoked deep thought that kept me engaged and enthralled for the duration of the film.

James Cameron wrote and directed this 2009 blockbuster which follows the story of Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), a young paraplegic jarhead sent to the planet Pandora. Jake’s mission is to befriend the native people of Pandora in the body of an “avatar”, a being created from both human and native Pandorian DNA. His mission is to find a diplomatic agreement that will achieve access to a valuable stone. Jake struggles to fulfill his duty once he forms a deep connection with the land and people. The plot follows the thread of Jake’s internal struggle through to his outward conflicts with scientists, military, and businessmen. The exploration of Jake’s internal conflict coupled with his external hardships leads to a powerful conclusion.

Avatar contains incredibly impressive computer-generated imagery. Cameron created a world that seems completely unrealistic and impossible. The special effects, however, made Pandora completely legitimate with beasts various sizes, shapes, and colors. The breath taking imagery and luscious depiction of the forest contributed greatly to the emotional impact the film created. However it was more than the exotic glowing forest that draws the viewer in. The characters were all portrayed very strongly by the actors that audience members truly feel Jake’s confusion when he finds peace and a home on a foreign planet. The struggles of the characters in the film simulate events and conflicts that are very true to today’s society and create a deeper understanding of all sides of current issues. The viewer feels certain empathy towards foreign people that are at times beyond their understanding.

It would seem that in a two hour and forty minute movie, a viewer would begin to notice that his or her legs are falling asleep, or backside is beginning to ache. However that was not the case in Avatar. There was not a single moment in the movie when I was bored or hoping for more action. With so many ups and downs in what appeared to be a fairly simple plot, I found my hands clamped against my mouth in anxiety and excitement multiple times throughout. Avatar is a film that has the power to be life changing, and if not, at least the visual accomplishment to be a truly amazing cinematic experience.

5 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job inserting yourself into the review, and I think that you made some bold decisions about what points you wanted to make in the article. I'm curious though, about your statement that, "Avatar has the power to be life changing." Did it change your life, or the life of anyone else who you saw the movie with? If either of these are true, why not try to cut out some other parts of the article and talk about how Avatar's power to change lives is true? Otherwise, I think that you wrote with a good sense of authority and kept your thoughts quite succinct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your opening paragraph because my relation to it drew me into the review. I think it would do the same for other readers because I am sure many other people felt the same way after seeing the commercials-- I know I did. Reading that you first thought the film looked strange while later taking the initiative to see it, might motivate other movie-goers to see it as well and thoroughly enjoy it. I like how you don't give too much of the movie away, but still touch on the basics of the plot. But I was hoping to find out more about which things you liked most about the film specifically. The characters? The cinematography? You touch on these things but do not go into much detail about what, if anything, makes the film unique. Overall, it is a good, informative review. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your opening as well kami. It's interesting to hear about other peoples first impressions on the film from the trailers. I kind of had a similar reaction, i thought it was a movie that looked interesting but i would never see & probably wouldn't be too crazy about. Boy was i wrong. I think if you talked more about you looking at the movie through literary & cinematic and dramatic lenses and your take on things in that way would have given even deeper insight on what you thought of the movie. For example what you thought of the characters, costuming, the music, special effects, camera angles, etc. But overall you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I was scornful of Avatar when I saw the trailer (although I looked forward to the graphics) unfortunately, when I saw the film I was disappointed more than I had expected.

    As Jon said, was the film actually life changing for you? I can understand the desire to refer to things in such grand terms but you have to be careful that you don't exaggerate. At the same time, you sell some things short. I would have liked you to expand on your comments about their conflicts being relevant to today.

    Referring to Avatar as life changing is giving a weak story entirely too much credit. But I did enjoy your descriptions of the planet. However, the wording "certain empathy...beyond their understanding" is contradictory in nature. Understanding is a requirement for empathy. Perhaps a better word choice is "sympathy".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! This review, especially in your closing paragraph really showed the physical reactions that the film gave you and I also thought that you did a great job in being fully upfront with your inital bias and which each of us as reviewers must inevitably confront. Good job again!

    ReplyDelete